Murdoch University Research Repository

Welcome to the Murdoch University Research Repository

The Murdoch University Research Repository is an open access digital collection of research
created by Murdoch University staff, researchers and postgraduate students.

Learn more

Genetic diversity and population structure of pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan [L.] Millspaugh) landraces grown in Benin revealed by Genotyping-By-Sequencing

Kinhoégbè, G., Djèdatin, G., Saxena, R.K., Chitikineni, A., Bajaj, P., Molla, J., Agbangla, C., Dansi, A. and Varshney, R.K.ORCID: 0000-0002-4562-9131 (2022) Genetic diversity and population structure of pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan [L.] Millspaugh) landraces grown in Benin revealed by Genotyping-By-Sequencing. PLoS ONE, 17 (7). Art. e0271565.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version
Download (1MB) | Preview
Free to read: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0271565
*No subscription required

Abstract

Genetic diversity studies provide important details on target trait availability and its variability, for the success of breeding programs. In this study, GBS approach was used to reveal a new structuration of genetic diversity and population structure of pigeonpea in Benin. We used a total of 688 high-quality Single Nucleotide Polymorphism markers for a total of 44 pigeonpea genotypes. The distribution of SNP markers on the 11 chromosomes ranged from 14 on chromosome 5 to 133 on chromosome 2. The Polymorphism Information Content and gene diversity values were 0.30 and 0.34 respectively. The analysis of population structure revealed four clear subpopulations. The Weighted Neighbor Joining tree agreed with structure analyses by grouping the 44 genotypes into four clusters. The PCoA revealed that genotypes from subpopulations 1, 2 and 3 intermixed among themselves. The Analysis of Molecular Variance showed 7% of the total variation among genotypes while the rest of variation (93%) was within genotypes from subpopulations indicating a high gene exchange (Nm = 7.13) and low genetic differentiation (PhiPT = 0.07) between subpopulations. Subpopulation 2 presented the highest mean values of number of different alleles (Na = 1.57), number of loci with private alleles (Pa = 0.11) and the percentage of polymorphic loci (P = 57.12%). We discuss our findings and demonstrate how the genetic diversity and the population structure of this specie can be used through the Genome Wide Association Studies and Marker-Assisted Selection to enhance genetic gain in pigeonpea breeding programs in Benin.

Item Type: Journal Article
Murdoch Affiliation(s): Centre for Crop and Food Innovation
Western Australian State Agricultural Biotechnology Centre
Publisher: Public Library of Science
Copyright: © 2022 Kinhoe´gbè et al.
United Nations SDGs: Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
URI: http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/id/eprint/65645
Item Control Page Item Control Page

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year