Catalog Home Page

The Chevert: A History

Fulton, G.R. and Bialek, P. (2018) The Chevert: A History. The Journal of Pacific History, 53 (2). pp. 186-200.

Link to Published Version: https://doi.org/10.1080/00223344.2018.1448216
*Subscription may be required

Abstract

The Chevert was built for Napoleon III's navy between 1850 and 1863. It served as a transport to supply French colonies in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Its service was primarily in peacetime, never entering into battle. It entered the private merchant service in the early 1870s and in 1875 served William Macleay's scientific expedition to New Guinea, which became known as the Chevert Expedition. It subsequently re-entered the merchant service before being wrecked in a cyclone in 1880. Not yet lost to history, it served as an office and impromptu fortress in Vanuatu: firstly for the English and then for the French. Its final resting place was Port Sandwich, Malekula, Vanuatu. For a relatively small transport ship it attracted many more headlines than its weight might predict.

Item Type: Journal Article
Murdoch Affiliation: School of Veterinary and Life Sciences
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
Copyright: © 2018 Informa UK Limited
URI: http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/id/eprint/41261
Item Control Page Item Control Page