Murdoch University Research Repository

Welcome to the Murdoch University Research Repository

The Murdoch University Research Repository is an open access digital collection of research
created by Murdoch University staff, researchers and postgraduate students.

Learn more

The allelic distribution and variation analysis of the NAM-B1 gene in Chinese wheat cultivars

Chen, X-Y., Song, G.-Q., Zhang, S.-J., Li, Y.-L., Gao, J., Shahidul, I., Ma, W.J.ORCID: 0000-0002-1264-866X, Li, G.-Y. and Ji, W.-Q. (2017) The allelic distribution and variation analysis of the NAM-B1 gene in Chinese wheat cultivars. Journal of Integrative Agriculture, 16 (6). pp. 1294-1303.

Link to Published Version:
*Subscription may be required


The NAM-B1 gene is a member of the NAC (NAM, ATAF, and CUC) transcription factor family and plays an important role in regulating wheat grain protein content (GPC). The ancestral NAM-B1 allele has been discovered in many tetraploid wild emmer (Triticum turgidum ssp. dicoccoides) accessions and few domesticated emmer accessions (T. turgidum ssp. dicoccum), however, it is rarely found in hexaploid bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). There are no systematic reports on the distribution of NAM-B1 alleles in Chinese wheat cultivars. In this study, the NAM-B1 alleles in 218 Chinese cultivars were investigated. The cultivars were collected from five major wheat regions (12 provinces), covering most of the winter wheat growing regions in China. The results showed that the NAM-B1 gene is present in 53 (24.3%) cultivars and absent in the remaining 165 (75.7%) cultivars. Further analysis revealed that in contrast to the wild-type allele, the NAM-B1 gene in Chinese wheat cultivars contained a 1-bp insertion in the coding region. This caused a frame-shift mutation and introduced a stop codon in the middle of the gene, rendering it non-functional. Polymorphisms were detected in DNA sequences of 21 cultivars among these 53 cultivars. However, cDNA sequence analysis suggested that these variations in the exon region were not able to restore NAM-B1 gene (1-bp insertion) function. Thus, exploring the distribution of NAM-B1 gene variations (1-bp insertion and deletion) can provide some information for improving the quality of winter wheat in China and other countries.

Item Type: Journal Article
Murdoch Affiliation(s): School of Veterinary and Life Sciences
Publisher: Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences
Copyright: © 2017 CAAS. Publishing services by Elsevier B.V
Item Control Page Item Control Page