Catalog Home Page

On the accuracy of IP geolocation based on IP allocation data

Zander, S. (2012) On the accuracy of IP geolocation based on IP allocation data. Swinburne University of Technology. Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures, Melbourne, VIC.

[img]
Preview
Free to read: http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/120524A/CAIA-TR-12...
*No subscription required

Abstract

The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) pub- lish information about all allocated IPv4 and IPv6 address blocks including country codes for each block. This information can be used for IP address geolocation. However, since large IP address blocks assigned to one country may belong to large international organisations spread over multiple countries the accuracy is questionable. With data from May 2012 we compare the IP to country mapping of the RIR data for the whole allocated IPv4 and IPv6 space against MaxMind’s GeoLite country geolocation database, which has a claimed accuracy of 99.5% [1]. For IPv4 there is a difference for 5% of the address space. This means GeoLite is presumably more accurate, but on the other hand for 95% of the IPv4 address space the mapping is identical. For IPv6 there is almost no difference between the RIR data and GeoLite.

Publication Type: Report
Series Name: CAIA Technical Report NO. 120524A
Publisher: Swinburne University of Technology. Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
URI: http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/id/eprint/35023
Item Control Page Item Control Page

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year