Submission into Legal Aid and Access to Justice (2003)
Southern Communities Advocacy Legal and Education Service, (2003) Submission into Legal Aid and Access to Justice (2003). Submission to The Senate Legal And Constitutional Committee Inquiry into Legal Aid and Access to Justice .
Role of SCALES
Southern Communities Advocacy Legal and Education Service (SCALES) has dual roles. As Western Australia’s only legal clinic SCALES is both:
1. A community legal centre (CLC) for disadvantaged people who live in Kwinana, Rockingham and Mandurah; and
2. A legal teaching clinic where solicitors supervise law students who are enrolled in clinical legal education units at Murdoch University, and students cross-enrolled from other universities.
The CLC role involves the provision of:
* Accessible legal services to community members,
* Community development through programs that identify areas of discrimination and work with people to develop appropriate responses,
* Community legal education to help people identify and overcome barriers to justice, and
* Research on policy and law reform issues and to improve the delivery of legal services to better protect human rights in the community.
The clinical legal education role involves programs in conjunction with Murdoch University School of Law, and offers Clinical Legal Education and Advanced Clinical Legal Education as elective units in the degree of Bachelor of Laws.
|Murdoch Affiliation:||Southern Communities Advocacy Legal and Education Service
School of Law
|Notes:||ISBN 0 7334 2264 0|
|Item Control Page|
Downloads per month over past year