Toxicity in three dogs from accidental oral administration of a topical endectocide containing moxidectin and imidacloprid
See, A.M., McGill, S.E., Raisis, A.L. and Swindells, K.L. (2009) Toxicity in three dogs from accidental oral administration of a topical endectocide containing moxidectin and imidacloprid. Australian Veterinary Journal, 87 (8). pp. 334-337.
*Subscription may be required
Three dogs were presented with a history of oral administration of a topical endectocide containing imidacloprid and moxidectin. They were diagnosed with imidacloprid and moxidectin intoxication, having ingested doses ranging from 7.5 to 1.4 mg/kg of imidacloprid and 1.9 to 2.8 mg/kg of moxidectin. The three dogs were affected to different degrees of severity, but all displayed signs of ataxia, generalised muscle tremors, paresis, hypersalivation and disorientation. Temporary blindness occurred in two cases. The three dogs were tested for the presence of the multi-drug resistance 1 gene deletion, which can cause an increased sensitivity to the toxic effects of moxidectin, and were found to be negative. Treatment included gastrointestinal decontamination, intravenous fluid therapy and benzodiazepines to control muscle tremors. All three dogs made a complete recovery within 48 h of ingestion.
|Publication Type:||Journal Article|
|Murdoch Affiliation:||School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences|
|Copyright:||© 2009 Australian Veterinary Association.|
|Item Control Page|